View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
TX_Dj
EcoModding Lurker

Mega - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab Dually SLT
Team Cummins
Last 3: 20.68 mpg (US)

Akane - '11 Honda CBR250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 51.66 mpg (US)
The explanation of how it is calculated is interesting to me... since my engine generates zero vacuum...

I'm sure it's true, many of the derived gauges do not apply directly or necessarily accurately to diesel owners.

I have seen engine load % reported by some obd2 diagnostic tools, as some ecm's actually report this themselves. I don't know if this is necessarily the case for your vehicle or mine, or if the number represented by UG is reading from this or calculating its own. In my case, I'm noticing that I rarely show it over 25-30% during acceleration so far, which seems fairly accurate... 25-30% of 500 HP is 125-150 HP or 250-300 ft-lbs if based of my torque number. It's a heavy truck, it takes a lot or power to ramp up to speed even when gentle with it. Even still, this seems a little crazy, because even at stock power the way I accelerate for economy, I'd expect the actual HP/tq numbers for acceleration to be much lower, probably even half of above.

This brings me to other gauges that I believe to be derived from other sensors, such as the HP/Torque gauges (I think that's an EM-only feature, some of you may not have it). The setup asked me for my peak torque and RPM numbers, which is roughly 1000 @ 1800 RPM... at the wheel. As such, UG tells me that I'm idling at 505.6 ft-lbs, which is absurd. It also tells me I'm idling at 75+ HP, which is equally as absurd. It knows my boost is at 0 (approx) at idle, and I know the engine doesn't produce that power except under 100% load with 35+ psi boost...

I don't know if these and others are "off" though, due to the fact my UG has never seen this engine opened up (maybe it rethinks things when it sees what power it really has, otherwise just assumes it's a 3 cylinder eco box?) or if it's somehow related to the "Power on Demand" setting of my tuner. This setting is a scalar value of apparent arbitrary effect on the power output of the actual tuning program itself. That is to say, the engine + tuner will put about 500 HP / 1000 ft-lbs to pavement, but when I set PoD to "30", I get some amount of power below that of the stock program but with enhanced drive-ability- with higher rail pressures and more advanced timing for better fuel economy.

2011 Honda CBR250R (brand spankin' new)