Thread: Grille Block
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
pletby
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Grille Block

Ok, it's way past time to install a grille block on The Car. So far this Winter we've had very mild temperatures in this part of the world and I know the deep freeze is coming so here goes.

Unfortunately my Wife's cat chewed my camera dock cord, so no pics will I post until sometime in the future. (No animal of MINE would do that)

This car has overheating problems as a known issue, so I'll be watching the temps with Ultragauge as I go. Will block upper opening and partial lower as a start, using cardboard until satisfied with shape and mounting. Since I drive mostly highway during the week and mostly shared with Wife city during the weekend, I may make a removable/adjustable grille cover to maximize for both modes.

Oh, and another reason I'm doing this is for the aero. I have a long highway commute now and this mod should create more impact on economy in this
mode.

Just looking at the pic of my car I can't believe I didn't notice the license plate. It's really out in the breeze; a vertical flat surface perched on a curved bumper. Wonder if bending it to form fit the bumper would offend Big Brother? Should still be able to read it.

Last edited by pletby; 12-31-2011 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Noticed bad aero!