View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
outboard sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
I have a Chevy Impala LTZ. I was changing the oil last week, and while it was up on ramps I noticed the air dam configuration.

It's a 3 piece deal, with a gap between the outboard sections.

What I can't figure out is their reasoning. Why is there a gap between the sections? I mean, obviously they want to let some air between the tire and the engine cradle. But why? Again, this is a Impala, not a Corvette. I don't really get the brakes that hot (usually) that they need inboard cooling.

And while you are pondering that riddle, why on earth are they terminating the curved outboard sections 2/3rds. inboard from the outside of the tire??? If I was doing it (before I saw this) I would have extended those outboard sections so they flow the air around the outside of the steering tires. Not slam right into them at 1/3 from the inside. ???????

My guess is that when approaching a curbside parking spot,they're less likely to strike the curb as the car noses into the space.
I must be vigilant each time I park the T-100 I approach this type of parking as the nose WILL strike if I improperly guess at my clearance.I've got wrinkled
aluminum to prove it.
The 99th-percentile car consumer probably wouldn't put up with this sort of thing.And I see plenty of shredded GM under-nose pieces as it is.Even the new Cadillac CTS.