View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Clear Acrylic Case for Motor Controllers

*NOTE: Some photos are missing from this thread. The evil photo-hosting service just decided they weren't hosting any more and just plain stopped. With SOME of my photos, I had already started switching over to only posting through my own domain. I'll try to update old, broken photo links as I can.*

Hi everyone,

While I think the Open ReVolt project has been fantastic, I've always wanted a case for it that was just a little bit cooler-looking.

I just saw a recent blog entry by somebody who is a member of the same workshop co-op as I that I thought would work perfect for this!

Here's his blog entry - BoxMaker | Milwaukee Makerspace

http://milwaukeemakerspace.org/wp-co...12/01/box3.jpg

In this case, he was just making a box, but if I applied the same idea to make a box that was just missing the bottom, and cut square holes in the ends for the bus-bars, it would make a great case for a controller! (It would be fun to show off the guts, and much easier to see the trouble-shooting LEDs!)

This box was made with the tabs accidentally too big. Since I have access to a laser cutter (I still don't know how to use it!) I could perhaps do the work to design a case and THEN MAKE SURE I SAVE MY WORK! I could make extras to sell as a low-cost kit and/or share the file so that other people could download that and make it themselves on their local laser.

I was also thinking that it would be VERY cool to have the Open ReVolt logo laser etched on the top of the case!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 07-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: photo disclaimer