View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
so if I were to go for 12v batteries, would deep cycle batteries be better than starting batteries? For the charging, I am going with 1 trickle charger per battery that can be installed permanently to the battery, so I would just need to run a 110 volt AC wire throughout to charge each battery individually. The amp rate on them is 1.5, the cost is about $20 a piece, and they are designed for battery charge and mainaining a charge. Assuming they can charge the batteries in about 12 hours total of charging time, I should be alright....not sure if my math is accurate on that though. If I charge a battery @ 1.5 amps for 8 hours, is that 12 amp hours added to the battery? And how many miles would that be good for? What's a good rule of thumb for number of amps used per mile.......I realize you are getting 129 mpge, just not sure of the exact calculation you are using, and I think you tend to have a lower top speed than I would. My hunch is that 1.5 amps would be too low, that 10 amps may be more like it.

Mine being a 4 door sedan, it would seem to have a bit of an advantage on being able to store the batteries outside the passenger compartment. I'm thinking most in the trunk, a few under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.