View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #84 (permalink)
racerc2000
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
wheel and tire weight is more of a performance attribute. for every 1 lb dropped its the same as removing 10lb static weight from the vehicle. so my thought of removing 60lb from the wheels equating removing 600lb from the vehicle. would not only improve performance but also economy. but I suppose the factors effect the performance and economy in different ways.

I may feel quicker and on a track show a diff but in reality effect economy in the opposite way. I guess its a double edged sword like some aero mods (increasing drag and downforce instead of reducing drag)

ive looked into my OEM tires. and noticed 2 tires of exact same size and branding under the goodyear LS-2 in 225/55-18

spec wise they seem to be identical. except for these small diff.

one is slotted as specifically for Honda(assuming my vehicle specifically) origin is US and the weight is 28lb.

the other is origin JPN with a weight of 29lb.

but all other specs are the same

I wonder what isnt listed that is diff between the 2. esp since 1 lb shouldn't be an economy move? am I the only one that finds it odd?

but I do see where your coming from. the stock tires still out perform the aftermarket. and the 10lb diff between aftermarkets was only a 0.4 mpg diff. but the performance was better
.................................................. ..............................avg avg
.................................................. ...................weight spd mpg
BMW 3 Series equipped with Original Equipment (16")42.5lb 38.7 22.8
BMW 3 Series equipped with Plus One (17").............38.5lb 39.0 21.5
BMW 3 Series equipped with Plus One (17").............48.5lb 38.8 21.1

Last edited by racerc2000; 02-11-2012 at 10:04 AM..