View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #288 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTW View Post
I stopped babysitting the solver after a couple of nights I've logged over 70 CFD hours in the last week, 50 in the last few days. Watching the solver is actually nerve racking...like watching the ticker of your stock Just hoping it'll move the way you want it.

I finished the "template" prism. Instead of rotating the body, I extruded it. The side edges have a 5" radius.

LWH 241.1" x 78.74" x 55"
ground clearance (hG) 5"
A = 2.540 mē
v = 30 m/s

Cd = 0.161
Cz =0.083

I have observed snow falling on cars and creating sharp edges along the roof. I was curious if a sharp edge was better, and somehow impeded streamlines from wrapping up along the sides and creating vortices. nope. It seems the DP at sharp edges is highest at sharp edges, and wreaks havoc.

Cx = 0.175
Cz = 0.099

So it not only hurts drag, but lift as well (drag induced by lift, aka vortex drag). It's still only 150 lb of lift on a, say, 3500 lb vehicle; it's not a stability or safety issue.

Phil, I was perfectly happy with my simple extrusions and revolutions. Now you're telling me I need to work in surfaces?! Without at least 3 views it's not possible to model it accurately. Dimensions would help too.

When I go to SAE congress next month, I'll see if I can steal the boxfish solid model
Makes perfect sense. If the top slopes down but the sides don't taper in then lower pressure above tends to suck air up

and over

resulting in vortices.

This is FloWorks? Are you using professional or academic version? TIA