View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
In the OP I dismissed the Thrush Turbo as a fart can, then I continued looking and eventually found someone who insists it sounds a lot like stock and does not attract police attention like other mufflers. I think the fart can effect heard in the vid in post #1 might be because of a tip. The cheaper price of the Thrush remains attractive for an experiment.

For the hell of it, for the cheap of it, and for my general weight reduction project, I'm thinking I'll get the Thrush, compare its weight to stock, install it, post my own sound video, and compare its life span with the several stock mufflers this car has gone through over the last decade. Cheap initial cost and modestly lighter weight are the only savings/FE goals. And additional benefit might be that it has a smaller diameter and might integrate better into a underbelly pan project for the rear of the car.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.