View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
Johnny Mullet
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Simple antenna aero mod

So you want to help your vehicle get better aerodynamics by removing exterior options, but don't want to lose radio reception? Do a simple relocation of your original antenna then. My 1998 Metro radio antenna was broken off and I got tired of listening to the same old CD's all the time. A replacement antenna was cheap enough, but I am Hypermiling here and don't want an external radio mast sticking out of the body. I found a used antenna from an old car at a yard sale for $0.50 cents and decided to get some radio reception finally.

First thing was to remove the "A" pillar trim by pulling it off and sliding the antenna down the pillar. I plugged the antenna into the radio and put the trim piece back on. I decided to have mine stick out slightly to also use it for holding receipts, toll tickets, etc. You then need to find a rubber grommet or piece of plastic to cover the original antenna mounting hole.

Here are a couple pics.................

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?