View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
With E-Throttles, meeting emissions with manuals is perfectly doable. All MTs nowadays have delayed throttle response and throttle over-run on lift-off to meet emissions requirements.

And if you have a shift light programmed for economy, you can overcome the inherent handicap manuals have on the EPA economy testing regimen (set shift points).
As I understand it, the issue isn't that meeting emissions is any more or less difficult with a manual vs. an automatic--it's that once they've done all the work for the automatic, they need to go and do a bunch more work for the manual. I've been to some of the facilities where the "offical" emissions certifications are done, and they are huge and expensive (multiple millions of dollars for all the equiptment), plus a crew of technical support people. I remember hearing that it cost multiple thousands of dollars per hour of testing time to go into one of those facilities. Even if they didn't have to change a thing about the tuning of the engine, I wonder what the cost would be just to test it and certify it.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html