View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
kingsway
EcoModding Apprentice

Success with diesel fuel cutoff for EOC

I've been trying a bit of P&G with my diesel Golf for a while. I find that on my 7 mile run (partly downhill) into Cambridge I could, if careful, get as much as 93 -100 mpg.

But I've just tried an experiment with a fuel cut-off so that I can stop the engine while leaving the ignition circuit on and am very happy with the results!

I got an indicated 145mpg going into town - and 119mpg coming back ('up hill')!!

I really didn't expect it to make that big a difference over 'engine on coasting'....

I just have a couple of wires and a toggle switch in series with the fuel solenoid on the injector pump for the moment, and it seems to work very well. The engine dies almost immediately - maybe takes 2 seconds to drop to zero revs.

Bump starting in 5th seems to be the smoothest way to restart.

Now I will have to make something more permanent, so am planning on a normally-closed relay in the engine compartment, and a simple push-switch (normally open -push to close) on the dashboard to earth one end of the solenoid coil in order to open the circuit. Hopefully the result will be reasonably fail-safe so long as all connections are made securely (soldered) and the wiring is routed carefully.

BTW This is a NON-turbo car I'm talking about

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingsway For This Useful Post:
101Volts (09-07-2013), CF1973 (04-17-2012), Ecky (04-25-2018), Piwoslaw (05-05-2018)