View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
fb_bf
Electric MG Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
cool car!
you should be very proud of what you have done!

how much are you willing to change the "look" of your car?
I don't want to alter the look of the car that much. I added some tarpaper covers that cover the rear axel. On Midgets there is a large area for the rear axel that breaks up a very flat bottom. I wanted to extend the flat bottom past the rear axel. So I have the tarpaper attached to the frame in front of the axels, and then I attached the tarpaper to some wood I strapped on the bottom of the axel. The whole thing has to float with the axel. It came out pretty well. That blends the bottom out to my rear battery box. The box has a flat back, and that is where I need advice. I was going to try to blend it up to the rear bumper, but after reading on here last night, I’m not sure that is the right way to go. It sounds like I want to extend the batter box bottom back, but only at a 2.5 degree angle from the bottom surface. When the extension gets to the rear bumper simply end it?? I can take pictures of the rear end if anyone here is willing to comment on what I should try. I did try to measure the effects of my tarpaper mod, but the air temp was 55 deg, and it was very windy. My test route data was worse than my last run when it was calm and 80 deg. For me, I measure in watt-hours/mile, which is actually a force unit (drag). It was 8% worse. Today’s commute to work was back to what I have gotten before, and again it was colder than before. I was hoping to see an improvement.
So if there is any interest in helping me, please reply. Thanks