View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
old jupiter
EcoModding Lurker

Any other 2-stroke lovers??

Raced outboard hydros many decades ago, have always liked 2-strokes for their simplicity while recognizing their drawbacks (although is it really a drawback to be able to pull in front of some snotty tree-hugger in his Prius and bury him in the deadly blue cloud??!!).

I currently have a '76 Yamaha RD400C 2-stroke streetbike, one of the early good-handling quick middleweights of the kind that led to the coinage of the term, "crotch-rocket". But I can't justify having two bikes around, with all of the other junk, so I might be selling it to get something lighter in weight that I can load in the back of my work truck for chasing parts when the truck is on the job. It will be another 2-stroke, a '75-'76 Yamaha RD125 twin. I'll fabricate my own pipes for it, and do some mods to improve handling and make it look cooler.

So far I haven't related this to fuel efficiency, which is not generally one of the shining attributes of 2-strokes. Since this is a little bike with a little engine, the mpg numbers will be good compared to most cars, of course, and there are a couple of small tricks I'll do to improve them. But I expect that among this gathering of brainy gear-heads we do have some dedicated "'strokers" here. If so, has any of you heard of a company called Envirotech? They have engineered some sort of retrofit fuel injection system that they claim to have sold widely in the 4th World to owners of smoking 2-stroke scooters and tricycle-cabs and such. Have any of you managed to acquire one (the company won't sell them here), or know anything about this?

The Following User Says Thank You to old jupiter For This Useful Post:
Panther140 (11-27-2017)