View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Hey guys, new to Team Honda as well, but have been squeaking out the best I can out of a Ford until it finally crapped out. I'm so happy it's toast; I've been wanting to get a Honda for a long time. Getting used to a manual transmission again and learning all the hypermiling methods for a manual will take a while. So I have lots of room for improvement. Since it's an old 93 I won't feel bad about any aeromods. Now I have to look into an MPGuino or however you spell it. The UG I have won't read a thing on a 93.
Nice little car! The MPGuino is a good idea, and so is a vacuum gauge on your dash. Using it, you could practice the "driving with load" ("DWL") technique. DWL, pulse and glide, and EOC are the secret to maximal hypermiling a manual transmission. These gauges would pay for themselves quickly. Did you do any of these with your old car?

My favorite totally free and easy mod: I have run my tires at 60psi for more than a year, so does PaleCivic (I got it from him). You'll have to make your own judgment as to safety, but in my personal opinion tire technology long ago put most issues to rest. I recently talked-over my mods with a Bonneville record holder, who casually told me he routinely runs tires at 80psi. Mythbusters episode 153 showed that increasing tire pressure will, in fact, increase MPG. It works, it's free, and you'll get longer glides!

Do you ever cut the engine while coasting in neutral? When I first tried bump starting at 40mph--using brucepick's description--I was amazed.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.