View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Fordman and I both have Fords... FWIW...

Otherwise, simply do what the owner's manual says; no warming up? Check. Change regular ol' dino oil at 7500 miles and change filter every OTHER time? Check. And so on.
I'm sure the debate could go on and on, but what's the logic behind each side? Logically you'd think that the more often you change your oil and filter, the safer it is, even though you could get more life out of your oil. The better-safe-than-sorry, severe service route, just playing it safe, cheap insurance, sort of thinking. Is there harm in it? And I'm sure there could be a debate about synthetic vs regular oil. And I've heard both sides of the warming up question. Aren't there block heaters that people use solely to warm up the engine so that it would be more fuel efficient, running off charged deep batteries? Do you recommend no warming up at all, not even thirty seconds or a minute? What's the thinking behind that? Does it matter what kind of car it is?

Are you sure there aren't any other secrets? Wouldn't we expect to see more cars with super high mileage if it were really that simple? Are there special products and additives you'd recommend? What are the top reasons cars fail and die, and what could be done to prevent it?