View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
capturedbyrobots
EcoModding Lurker

Drop city was great, love the alternative building materials. If I only had a buddy with a junkyard! So the super Elipse can be used for the main part of the upper radius and walls, but the bottom will have the long skirts so would I still want to taper it in?

I gained headroom on this design, I like it, but it sure is ugly. Maybe paint will help disguise the ugly.

Btw, the welding idea rules. I weld every day, so it would not be a problem. Just would have to get some tool to chop the ends of the conduit in the C shape to have the 90deg joints fit tight. I hate having to shape tubing for clean joints with my angle grinder. It's a pain.

With my welder, I wouldn't have to even drill a hole. It'll burn right thru the sheet to the conduit. I know galvanized is nasty when you weld, but I'll wear a respirator.

Ok, so conduit and galvanized sheet it is. Done.

Now, since the body will be tacked to the frame, what method of sealing the seams could be used? I'd love to solder it if I could figure out a way to get it to stick. That would be tight as a mofo! Ive only soldered uncoated steel. Guess I could just sand off the coating at the seams before soldering...

Welding the seams would be tough, as it's so easy to burn thru thin sheet.
Ideas?

Last edited by capturedbyrobots; 09-01-2012 at 12:33 PM..