View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Well, quick little update (not really an update though).
School's FSAE team has a ton of medium? density foam sitting around that they don't want apparently, because they bought many, many tons of high density foam which is better for making moulds :O
Next time I go home, I'll be sure to swipe some of that, should be good for making temporary/experimental stuff.

Super short on time though this semester :/ Soonest forseeable time that I can work on the car is winter break, and that might not even work I do need to buy a jack and stands sometime so I can take a peek under the car. There's this floppy plastic shield sitting under the muffler for some reason, and I've been itching to get rid of it if its function isn't critical.

On the positive side, I have my Bluetooth OBDII reader coming in the mail very soon, will be able to track instantaneous and short term gas mileage soon. I've gone a bit over 100 miles on the tank and it looks to be a bit over 1/3 used up, seems like about 25mpg. Pretty bad, but half the miles were driven in hilly Berkeley infested with evil stop signs on a totally cold engine that never warmed up, much of it wasted on parking in tight spots, and half the remaining miles were driven in stop and go SF traffic. Guess I need to kill that engine more often.

Anyways back to aero, hopefully I'll have some free time some weekend to carve those foam blocks and stick them on my car. Thankfully that top isn't very tall so I'm hoping it won't be that difficult. I may want to buy a scroll saw, we'll see how the hacksaw does.

Last edited by serialk11r; 09-14-2012 at 06:46 AM..