View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
fb_bf
Electric MG Midget

Well, I'm about a week away from my 1 year anniversary of getting my Midget on the road. I'm also 250 miles shy of 4,000 miles. (Now I know how much I drive this car every year) I've driven the car almost every day, in winter as well as summer. I've had no issues at all with the car. It's almost boring. Every few days when I get close to 50 miles of use I plug it in over night. The next morning the BMS has balanced the pack and shut off the charger. I turn the key, and my fuel gauge reads full again. I've driven it top down all summer, which is why I really like Mg's. The one disappointment I have is no one knows it's electric. I was hoping for a little more notoriety, but that hasn't happened.
So while it is expensive, electric car conversion components have gotten to the point of allowing people to build reliable cars. Li-on Batteries are now available, and can be trusted to deliver their claimed specs. Controllers are very good now, and getting better all the time. There are any number of good choices in motors. I hope people can see what I've done and get inspired to build their own cars. It isn't easy, and I hope that if you do choose to try this you have some experience of working on cars. Even though the components have matured, putting them all together is still very custom.