View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

I don't believe an air-flow meter in the bottom of the air cleaner will help. Not unless you mean just over the carb throat. There are three different air-flow meters that I know of; one uses a swinging flap (a "barn door") that gets pushed out of the way by incoming air, one uses a piece of wire that gets heated and measures how much heat is lost to the incoming air, and the third uses a similar method but has a film that is heated.

The first can, especially in older engines like the L-jet Bugs, simply run a rheostat--a variable resistor. You can hook that to a gauge easily. The other two require electronics to feed and read. Those can be connected to a data-logging system or DIY meter, similar to the MPGuino.

You may be able to find some vintage rally equipment, like a gear-reduction box for the odometer cable. That way you can calibrate your speedometer and odometer.

I wonder if there's a reasonable way to read fuel flow from the tank to the carb? That would be a bit of a lagging indicator, because the fuel measured would be going into the float bowl and not directly into the engine immediately. But it could still be a help.

Hmmmm.....

-soD