View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I believe the MPGuino would work with a carbed, non-OBD-II engine.
It would be difficult to set that up. The MPGuino, as it starts out at least, requires a digital speedometer signal (electrical pulses), and a fuel injection signal (also electrical pulses). Probably both in the 0V-5V range, square waves or close to it.

You'd have to either use the tach signal from the distributor (and probably filter it heavily) or you'd have to make some sort of transducer or Hall-effect gizmo to send the speed signal.

There are no injectors on a carb'ed car, so I'm not sure what you would use to tell how much fuel is going into the engine.

Quote:
• I saw some discussion here of in-line flow meters that made it sound like it's hard to measure the small volume flow accurately. But late model cars do it somehow.
Late model cars actually approximate the fuel used by either knowing the amount of time the injectors are open (that's how the MPGuino does it), or by knowing the various parameters that get fed into the engine management system and figuring out how much fuel "should" be going in under that set of circumstances.

I guess my earlier thoughts were a bit of pipe-dreaming.

-soD