View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I made it back from Seattle. While I was there we visited the Auto Museum in Tacoma. They had (on loan) Harry Miller's 1940 mid-engined 4WD Indianapolis race car.

I'll follow up some other issues in a future post but for now, let me address this:
Quote:
I've used one of those speedometer cable gear boxes on a Nissan truck years ago. They are ok, but you need someone to initially set them up for you, someone who has several gears to choose from. I did it before GPS, the automotive speedo calibration shop i took it to had an in-ground roller set up. An inexpensive Garmin GPS can double as a speedometer, I do it when playing with VW's. There is a dashboard setting that shows MPH in real time, that I've used on rallys and racing at Bonneville. If nothing else, borrowing a GPS could help you cross calibrate your speedometer, masking tape arrows on the glass noting 25, 40, and 55, and 65mph.
I now know what the car will have for a stereo. The Parrot Asteroid is a single-DIN 4x55W stereo with a GPS receiver, Android Operating System and a 3.2" color screen. If I was building a car from scratch I could make it the entire dashboard. As it is I will have to cut the pre-DIN opening in the stock dashboard, but just the metal, the vinyl padding has an adequate opening. I expect to find an Android software forum where people code software to display temp and electrical gauges, turn by turn navigation, etc. It's less than $300 from Amazon.