View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
slowmover -- That's awesome. I should hit the Thanks button 3 times.

There is an area I'm procrastinating from by hanging out here that I would define as 'low-cost energy efficient and aerodynamic housing'. So the parts on hemispheres on ground plane and ship superstructures is, as they say, 'relevant to my interests'.

It even has the aero drag of a 5' 9" male figure in various postures.

some other dave -- Maybe I'm optimistic, but so far it seems like if it exists there is software for it.
Quote:
I don't think you'll find free SW for all of that. Chances are a good bit of it will have to be DIY, because most of the car-type apps will be built to plug into modern cars with OBD2 ports to read the various information from. Your car will have separate analog signals for whatever instrumentation it has (except the tach, which uses the sort-of-digital signal from the points but is still separate) and you'll have to find a way to hook into those signals and then display them.
"whatever instrumentation it has" See, there's the trick. What it has is a mechanical cable drive to the speedometer, and an electrical float in the gas tank.
Quote:
See if you can find a forum dedicated to the Parrot thing to see if people have plugged other inputs into it.
Precisely. No doubt someone, who knows enough about how, want an OBD2 input to one of the 4 USB ports on the Parrot Asteriod. Then thanks to Internet we all can have and try to improve it. So everybody can have that. There's going to be a hardware dongle of some kind in the middle.

In any case when I write "I now know what the car will have for a stereo" that means it's going in the budget. I was really close to getting 2ea 20-liter gas cans, as a range extending measure. But now it has to contend with the Inflight Entertainment System. I should do it before I lose the courage to take a Sawz-All to my dashboard.