View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
IsaacMTSU
EcoModding Lurker

CRX HF - '91 Honda CRX HF
Team Honda
90 day: 68.45 mpg (US)
The actual EPA test results for the CR-Z were 52 city 44 highway. Honda got sued pretty bad over the Civic Hybrid because nobody was getting the window sticker MPGs, so since the law is that you can post what the EPA result was or lower MPG, they put 31/37 because that is closer to what everyday lead foot drivers will see.

If you just never use the brakes and instead tap the brake enough to get the brake lights to come on, the IMA system goes full regeneration and slows you down plenty fast enough while getting a charge from it too. Keeping the battery full and using the charge to slow you down along with the best part of the whole car, the auto-stop below 19 MPH can get some really good MPG.

My commute is 5 miles of 6-lane "parkway" with a speed limit of 40 and about 3 miles of 2-lane curvy back road with 45 mph limit and one mile or so of downtown tourism hotspot. I gain 370ft elevation going to work and then lose it coming back. I keep the tires at 50psi and it's a 6-speed so shifting early and getting the extra torque (instant 58lb-ft) from the IMA motor helps a lot. The CR-Z also has DFCO at 900 RPM (and it is instant), so engine braking even the slightest amount uses no fuel and recharges.

My first tank the CRX was 47 MPG and I was impressed, then I started reading EcoModder stuff and that helped more than anything! My last 3 tank average is ~72 MPG