View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #251 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

Reply to PaulBlez and for “the record”

So Paul maybe you are the first to truly recognise the importance of the three challenges, and what a significant vehicle this will prove to be when/should it hit the targets.

The Vmax target can be easily defined and measured, and will not excite many people since the world has ceased to be amazed by a “mere” 100mph. The fact that the speed record for a 50cc motorcycle (half my engine size) is over 150mph makes my target seem under whelming. But the cognoscenti will appreciate what a tough target it is for a road going vehicle. One thing I have in my favour is the ability to tune the motor well past the projected 11.5hp needed.

The mpg target is just as difficult, but I also have good reason to be confident. Take a detailed read through Allert Jacobs’ site for his velomobile and you will see the basis of my belief. Allert missed this target by the narrowest margin, on a mechanically standard vehicle, with greater capacity than my intended unit. I’m sure he could have hit the mark with the aid of some simple tuning or a well planned record attempt. Let me explain that second point.

My record attempt will be somewhat akin to a “Bonneville run” ie: very accurately measured, but in optimum conditions. I intend to run the “test” on the public highway, during near perfect weather conditions, with the bike in optimised form. The test will comprise a single non-stop distance of 100km, at an average speed of 100km/h. The motor will already be at working temperature before starting, and no aerodynamic benefit will be taken from other road users – the test will be carried out in the early hours of a Sunday morning next summer, all dual carriageway, no stop/start, constant speed.

You point out a couple of the negative aspects of my design, without quantifying their effect. The machine weight will play a very small part under the test conditions that I have described (above) and the rolling resistance to which you ascribe far greater significance than I do, can be easily overcome. Don’t forget, my C90 in bog-standard form gave 134mpg yet the positive aspects of my design, you seem to have missed. By comparison with Allert’s machine, I should achieve less drag through a fully enclosed body (no holes for head and feet), better shape (lower frontal area and improved fineness ratio), optimised engine tuning (laptop programmable ECU with fuel injection) – and if all of the above does not gain me 1km extra, then I will eat my hat!

So Paul, thanks for pointing out the enormity of the task and even though I remain confident, I will summarise with one of our favourite English sayings – “the proof of the pudding, is in the eating”
Regards
Pete

Last edited by visionary; 10-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: improved test description