View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
wyatt
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoJason View Post
I don't see anyone having asked about the offset of the wheels as well. If they were a wider wheel you obviously have a larger frontal area, but if the offset of the wheel is lower (as aftermarket wheels tend to be) the wheel will sit further out... it will alter the wake and cause a large disturbance in the airflow along the sides of the car.

I would almost be willing to ask a Prius owner to throw on some 1.5" wheel adapters with even the stock wheels and tires. I have no doubt this subtle difference would have a much more drastic effect on a vehicle like the Prius, which is highly optimized for aerodynamics (among other things).
Sorry, I seemed to have missed answering this question. The offset, though I don't know the numbers, doesn't seem to be any different than the 2010 Prius rims I have on the car now. The rims were tucked in nicely, not sticking out in the wind like so many after-market rims that I see. With that said, I would still bet that the aerodynamics of the rims was pretty bad compared to the current rims with hub caps. How much worse? I don't know, but maybe 3 or 5%, just based off seeing other's improvements and making a semi-informed guess.