View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
still seeking source of rubbing sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
not much of a chore to change the front drive shafts. my son and i have done it on all of his rice burners (honda's) the cost is reasonable both sides should take about 4 hrs or less.
I might end up changing the half-axles, but I've been told it is much more difficult than you describe, that the axles need to be installed precisely or damage can be done. Any special tools you've used?

Today, I replaced the front brake pads, on recommendation that they were worn and could stand replacement. Pad wear was normal, with no indication of warped rotors that might be making the sounds described in the OP. So it was on to testing the car further...

With the front end on jack stands, I ran the engine up to 30mph in second and then put it into neutral and cut the engine with my kill switch. The passenger side front wheel stopped really quickly, well before the driver side wheel. Since the slowing was uneven, I suppose the rubbing is not from the transmission. I'm thinking again that it's either the half-axles or the CV joint. The cv joint boots by the hubs are dried out a little and have a little cracking. One or both sides has leaked a little bead of clear grease. Because they need to be replaced anyway, that will be my next step. And maybe it'll eliminate the sound too.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.