View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #47 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I have this quiet little road called Route 5 which is east to west just north of the James River. The machine shop that is working with me on my patent and the vehicle is right at 49 miles from my house. The last time I carried some parts there is the wifes Sorento I could barely manage 32 MPG at 55 MPH with no traffic to speak of, and not a single running accessory, not even the radio.

In the Fiesta I can average close to 50 MPG. In my 09 Altima low 40s was fairly easy.
Manufacturers are responsible for their ratings claims. I thought the EPA did the testing but apparently that has changed.

The Altima and the Sorento had the same EPA highway rating, while the Fiesta is 38 instead of 32.

Don't get me wrong, the Sorento is a very nice vehicle, the paint is as good as a new Mercedes. The transmission shifts much smoother than my Fiesta, and we have had not a single problem in a year and over 12 k miles.

We still have the window sticker that says 32 MPG, but it now is 30 MPG, and it should be 28-29. While that may not seem to be a big deal to some, when my wife pays $25k cash for a car, it just really POes me to know they used fabricated mileage claims as a part of their sales pitch, and we may not have bought the car if we had not been led to believe it was 5 MPG better than the Rogue on the highway, which it is not.

regards
Mech