View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHAOS View Post
Very clean looking.

I would be a bit worried about the OSB supports (doesn't look like plywood in the pics) rotting from rain/snow/moisture. If the pan proves beneficial, it may be worth a quick trip to the lumber yard to get a 1/2 sheet of treated plywood. also, keep an eye on the zip ties, I've had them break just keeping a grill block in place at highway speeds.

Keep us posted with any results. I have a Ford Expedition myself and it doesn't take an aerodynamics master ninja to see that there is a LOT that can be done to clean up the airflow under the front of a truck. I'm anxious to see if you see any significant increase in mpg's with your Dodge.

As far as warm-up, are you still running a belt fan? Those things circulate a TON of air, even with a clutch. Might be worth looking into an electric setup. Just for a test, try taking it off and running without a fan to see if it warms up any quicker. I know diesels can be a lost cause as far as warm-up (I'm assuming a diesel from your screen name) but surely you can get to temp in less than 25 miles!
Yes, it is OSB. It's technically "exterior" OSB, but it is OSB nonetheless. I'm not really intending this to be "permenant". If it works well, then I'll probably make a nicer-looking one with some better materials. Also, everything I build always comes out better looking the second time. This one is sort of my "trial version".

I do not have a belt fan. I have a clutched, mechanical fan (electrically=actuated clutch). It's almost always off. I've verified that it comes on very briefy on startup (<1 min) and then goes off. Even then, however, I don't think it's on "fulll strength". When it comes on on the highway, I definitely can hear it inside the cab. That hasn't happened in over a year , BTW (even with the grille blocked). One thing I probably should check is whether the fan kicks on every time I bump start during EOC P&G. I might be able to check that with mu ODB scan software. At this point, however, I doubt the fan could do much to hurt warm up with the grille blocked and the belly pan in place.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html