View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CHAOS
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Thanks for sharing the project with us DD. I have considered a belly pan for my rig, but don't think it would survive some of the off-roading and snow conditions I subject Big Yeller to. Besides that, I need to lower my headache rack so it isn't sitting up above the cab height, and an aero cap would be next.

My 1998.5 Cummins has a belt driven fan and blows like a tornado when it's supposedly off. I've often thought there were significant savings to be had by going electric, but the ones built for the Dodge are pricey.

You think it's possible to get a junkyard pull that will work? Any suggestions on what type of vehicle to look for? I don't mind that the cooling capacity will be reduced because I am far from having overheating problems in the first place.
Most of the OEM electric fans are VERY good. Best advice and I give is to measure your radiator and try to find a junkyard that'll let you go through a few vehicles with a tape measure and fine one that'll fit. Look for one with a shroud, if possible, as they will be most effective. If nothing else, a "universal" one will probably do the trick, although 2 may be necessary for summer use if you work your vehicle hard.
I've had great success with the Perma-Cool "high performance" series ( Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fans - SummitRacing.com ). I have a 14" version and another 14" "generic" electric fan on my Expedition with no shroud and when they kick on the temp will drop in a matter of seconds. You can literally watch the temperature gauge fall like a rock.They have NO problem keeping it cool even when towing my camper in the summer. However, the price on the Perma-Cool's has gotten so outrageous I'm not sure I'd buy another.
I'd look to the salvage yard or a pick-a-part (if you have one local) and go that route.