View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Hey, thanks for the advice! I had to look up the word aft. It's kind of a beautiful word. I'd like to try to use it in everyday conversation, in talk unrelated to cars and boats. "That man is aftly daft as Robert Taft doing crafts in a raft! So I suppose my air dam is aft, with the bottom angled back towards the engine.

Should the air dam be more flat, at a 90 degree angle, rather than the downward slope it is currently at? I think that's what you're saying, and I agree. I'm so glad you brought that to my attention. It's just going to be a little hard to do... I'm trying to think how I'm going to attach it... I'm so bad at this, which is quite evident. Though I have to admit, my carbon fiber rear spoiler is amazing. Oh and by carbon fiber, I mean cardboard fiber. It's a little cheaper. Still a fiber.

Any ideas on I might attach my air dam to make it 90 degrees? Oh, my bottom bumper grill has these four skinny top to bottom stick connectors. I could maybe cut a strip of cardboard and wedge it into that metal stick, like a puzzle piece. Then, zip ties! That's all I've got. If anyone has any better ideas, I'd be grateful.

I'm probably not going to keep my rear spoiler , heh. And I want to attempt a windshield deflector underneath the hood, like other ecomodders have made. I want to keep the front wheel deflector, but make it round and coroplast spray painted black of course. Hopefully it'll be really inconspicuous. Though no one hardly notices me in traffic as I am. Hah! Kidding! I am the laughing and gazing stock of this town. A man in a very nice Mercedes today honked and smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Another guy walking the crosswalk did the same. Made my day. Just to bring smiles to people's faces is a nice side benefit. The cardboard is just for testing!

I like the kammback pretty good. But it definitely needs some refinement. I'll work on it.

Can't wait to get a mpg reading tomorrow at the G-Station. WILL I ENTER THE 40+ MPG CLUB? UPSIDE: POSSIBLE NEW HIGH SCORE! DOWNSIDE: THE MOST INCREDIBLE WOMAN REPELLANT VEHICLE KNOWN TO MAN. I never had a chance anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
If the air dam is angled to the rear (i.e. bottom more aft), you'll still let air be pushed under the car - which is what you should be trying to avoid.