View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
OK, I went out and played on the hill again (burning a bunch of gas to get better gas mileage - LOL), and I think I've got a problem: My car's an AUTOMATIC transmission, right? So when I went out and tried to do the 70 to 80% throttle position (as well as LOD on the ScanGauge), the thing shifted down almost immediately, and then proceeded to accelerate like all get-out. I had to drop way back on the throttle position (50% or so) to keep from shooting right up past 60 mph. And my gas mileage on that run was really "sucky" - like 12.1 or something, as opposed to the 13.8 I was getting yesterday by using cruise control and going up it at anything between 40 mph and 55 mph.

So just for fun, I tried cruise control at 30 mph, but it was real sucky, too - 12.7 mpg. Then I did 35, and it was 13.1. So I did 40, and it was 13.7, like yesterday, and then 45 was 14.0, Whoa, I thought, something's happening here!! So I tried 45, and it showed 14.0 too, as did 50. I did 50 again, and it was 13.9, so at that point, I decided it had to be due to different conditions (maybe lighter because of less gas in the tank than yesterday - maybe a bit warmer, etc.)

So I don't know what to do, guys. I'm not aware of any way to keep my car from downshifting when I give it a certain amount of gas (that seems to be well less than that 75% "sweet spot). I can manually put it in third & try going up the hill at the max BSFC rpm, but the LOD or throttle position will be WAY below that 75% region. Suggestions?