View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
Because the regulations are doing a great job of keeping incompetent people off the roads. If someone demonstrates that they are incompetent or a hazard they should have that right revoked (your right to swing your fist ends at my noise and all that). In the case of driving a slight infringement on that right may be a necessary evil, that does not mean I do not retain it as a right.

Also I did not note that you are in Canada, we may have different views regarding rights and their origins.
I agree that there should be higher standards for American drivers. This is something to bring up at the state level by mailing your representatives or attending a caucus.

I challenge you to find where anything says driving is a right. Isn't that kind of like saying running drunk and naked through the street is a right? Just because you pay taxes and have the ability to do it, doesn't make it okay. We limit certain activities for good reason, and keeping unlicensed, uninsured and irresponsible drivers off the road is one.

As far as gas guzzling vehicles and irrational decisions, fine. I am just as opposed to 5,000 pound death machines as any of you are, but if someone (like me) wants to make a stupid decision and go buy a luxury sedan with a 3.4L engine for the sole purpose of commuting 6 miles to work, I see no reason to legally limit them in doing so.

Behavioral modification through legislation rarely works as intended- much like subsidies. So, leave people to do what they want. It'll catch up to them. I'll sure be sick of 20 mpg by spring.