View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Chaz, the sides taper in for about the last two feet. The cap is anchored to the bed where the rectangular holes are in the bed rails from the factory. The rear holes are about 6 inches from the back of the bed and about 2.5 feet from the end of the tailgate when it is down. I would say they taper in 6-8 inches in 2.5 feet with the second half much more sharp than the first. This allowed the top panel to remain the 4X8 foot original size.

The rear has a long way to go, but most of the improvement is there already. I like to ponder the next step for a while so I won't want to redo it before I finish it. In Va anything more than 3 feet back from the bed requires a red flag, so that is about my limit. I want it to be reversible and fairly quickly removable. My thinking now is to make a "box" that attaches to the tailgate, and is located by the original latches and the cable stay locations, but could be removed in a very short time.

I would prefer to maintain the original tail lamp locations as well as the license plate and lamps. Right now I am leaning towards lexan covers from the bed sides over the tail lamps back to the meeting point a foot past the rear edge of the tailgate (down position).

On the point where the cap meets the cab. It will be more rounded and the gap filled completely as well as tapered better when I am finished. I am also going to put some wood stringers between the tubes in the cap frame to smooth out the panels. I put some curve into the top braces but it will take some more reinforcement to get the surface smooth enough.

regards
Mech