View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
You're absolutely right. I hadn't quite thought about that. That 37.62 mpg run was definitely warmed up. It was all city, with traffic, and a lot of engine off at red lights. The 28mpg run included cold morning start ups and without the mods and stuff. So that explains it! The mystery is solved! Must have longer runs! I most prefer long runs of a couple hundred miles. It's more mixed and even. But I guess I was just so eager to get some readings, and I can't drive around much more with all this cardboard on. Not just because of the rain forecast this weekend, but the shame man, the shame! No I kid. It's been so much more fun than I could have ever imagined. Random people honking and giving me thumbs up, laughing on the street. Girls smiling. The first girl smiled at me today in a very long time. And that alone was worth it. Just to put some smiles on people's faces. But oh, the rain will come. And I've had enough fun with it. For testing and curiosity and all the wonderful laughs I've had over this thing. That alone made this ridiculous thing worth it. But I ought to learn some shame, really, heh.

I've been learning a bit about ECTs and IATs (electronic coolant temperature, intake air temperature) about how basically cold = bad for fuel economy and warm = good! Kind of interesting, but not really, heh.

Anyway, I've got to take all this cardboard off, put on some coroplast, and go back to 200+ mile trips. Which will take me half a month or something, because I barely drive. Thank you GRU for solving this 9mpg simple mystery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
about your trips...testing is very hard to do because of different conditions....when you said you gained about 9mpg with the mods, was the engine warmed up? was the trip and engine about the same for the 2 trips?