View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
radioranger
radioranger

I've got a tip for you that you should jump on if you can, Most people never change the gear oil in these five speeds, they are a great transmission, if you just lube em up right, I put the Red line MTL gear oil in mine and worked amazingly well, if you dont at least change out and renew the ATF they will fail, usually the 5 th gear to reverse shaft goes, and also put the red line 80 90 gear oil in the differential , that one mod or up date made the biggest change i ever had in any car in terms of low speed noticable diffference, it figures because the friction in a rear dif, is mostly sliding friction , big gears going fast , lots of drag, rolling friction is never even near as much , Summit racing has it for a pretty fair price, , i had also a 98 Ranger with the 2.5 and I noticed they upped the size of the exhaust and muffler quite a bit, got better milage too , than my 88 2.3 . other than that good job so far and probably swap out the O 2 sensor , there pretty cheap on Ebay now, picked up a few MPG right there, My 88 2.3 has 3 76 K miles on it, when I rebuilt the motor at 300 K the only thig wrong was the head gasket, originall good bore and even the valve guides, just change the oil whenever it looks a bit dirty say 3 k miles and only synthetic wal mart brand is pretty good, proof with the wear i saw, almost none, good luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radioranger For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (11-15-2012), user removed (11-15-2012)