Thread: Edison2 VLC
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Did they talk about the zero-scrub aspect of the front suspension? They mentioned at one point that a beam axle in a old pickup has the same capability. I found that interesting.

I'm picturing a 4-bar linkage with the 'kingpin' on it's diagonal. Is that even close?
No, he did not talk about that. I was a walk in visitor so they had no prepared presentation for me.

But, I think your speculation about the zero scrub is indeed correct. In its basic concept, the front geometry is similar to the old Morgan sliding pillar design in that there is no camber change on bump/rebound. There is the usual solid beam front axle with all the steering rotation and spring deflection taking place on the kingpin centerline. It is impossible to fully describe, and I don't think they would have encouraged pictures, but it is as I described. The king pin is very large, perhaps 4 inches, and it rotates within a large cylinder which is welded to the beam axle. The spring and shock are positioned inside the kingpin.

Quite an impressive design and I would encourage anyone within driving distance to go and see the cars. It is a fascinating excursion for those who love aerodynamics and mechanical engineering.