Thread: Edison2 VLC
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #38 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I know nothing about that vehicle - that is a picture I found on the Internet.

I think at the time, they didn't want pictures taken of the front suspension. I thought I did have a more detailed view of it, but I could not locate it. My memory of it is that it is a pair of trailing arms linked together in a parallelogram. It is very compact and very light, has very good anti-roll - and it's raison d'être is to allow the front wheel fairings to not have to move up and down, so they can have lower drag than if they did have to move up and down.

The rear suspension is also unique on the VLC. The design is "locked in" to a rear wheel drive; which is too bad because with an electric drivetrain this somewhat limits the amount of regenerative braking you can use.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the VLC v4 - the new aluminum frame, the battery pack location(s), how the new open front wheels and the totally fixed front wheel fairings (they used to pivot with the steering). I am totally happy that they are moving toward an electric drivetrain (with a serial hybrid genset optional?). The VLC v4 looks great, and the actual car will (probably) look even better than the models and renderings.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/