View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #128 (permalink)
Shepherd777
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Looking at a more progressive design.

The Airflow Bullet Truck wins this match up too in my opinion.
Hi kach22i -

Thanks for the pics comparing the hood rake of the BulletTruck to that square Volvo.

However, hood rake is only a very small part of the fuel-saving equation. As a matter of fact, we did everything that we could to divert the air around the front end, as opposed to running it up over the hood and windshield.

The windshield angle is 65 degrees in the BulletTruck. Kinda like a barn door slightly tilted backward. Also, the air has to go 13' 6" to get over the top of the truck.

So what we did to mitigate this aero problem was to divert the air around the sides, and not over the top, as much as we could. This way, the diverted air has to only travel 4' 3", and not 13' 6", to get back into the slip-stream.

Also not shown in your side profile pic is how friggin' square and flat the front of the Vulva's are. They even accentuate the "squareness" by that stupid diagonal banner and badge that they use!

I wish I had the Plan (Birds-Eye) view of both of these trucks. But, I don't. That is where one would really see the aerodynamic differences.

From the AirFlow Truck web site:

http://www.airflowtruck.com

Last edited by Shepherd777; 11-24-2012 at 09:27 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shepherd777 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-26-2012), ECONORAM (01-17-2013)