View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
rattroddrebel
research hiatus

Lightbulb Fuel Mileage mods simplicity

Hello all,
Someone had mentioned that ecomodders are a skeptical bunch and any new and improved mind blowing mod is not the point of this website. Severely awesome "devices" for hypermiling I think are counterproductive. I sell an Amsoil product called "P.I." fuel system treatment. It claims up to 5.7% fuel savings and works for 4000 miles. Everyone I have talked to has said they have seen an improvement. The guy that got me into Amsoil says he gets 30 more miles per tank using the product. On a 2002 Honda Odyssey v6 I would say that's worth the $12.00 a bottle. But on the other hand I think several small modifications that may or may not equate to 2-5% mileage increase would be substantial if you did up to 10 or so small mods. I switched to a better gasoline and saw a noticeable improvement. I added some fuel additive in addition to that and saw a little more, got rid of all of the extra junk in the back of the car to reduce weight, and saw more improvement. I believe that one "huge" mind blowing fuel saving device that reminds me of an infomercial is just plain the wrong way to think. If I tell someone that I get 30 more miles per tank by doing nothing but driving a little slower, 65 vs. 75 I think that is substantial. Arent small mods like this, and doing several small mods like this going to matter more when your goal is to double your mileage? So right now ecomodder says my car is getting 44% above EPA mileage, And I havent really done anything yet, small mods seem to make more sense. Not everyone is able to afford electric conversions, and small habit changes show enough mpg improvement to mention, when hypermiling is inconvenient, thats when people scoff at new ideas. One of my customers has a Dodge van witha v-6 and i told him he could save $300 a year minimum by driving 55. He screamed at me totally refusing that idea. I said" I just handed you $300 and you throw it back at me" since he visits Oklahoma alot because thats where his family is, he refused to add an hour of driving to his trip because he did not want to be in the car any longer with his wife and kids than he absolutely had to. I was astounded, but looked at it like that mod would have inconvenienced him personally so it was not worth it.
We must concentrate on simple basic steps to achieve mind blowing MPG's. Maybe we can use this principle with the mods you have already done to possibly increase the mpg's only 1% with no effort..