View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Will we have a generation or two to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Really no sense in arguing with some of you guys. In your utopia of requiring every energy source as being "sustainable", it would lead to massive starvation in an unprecedented scale.

I remember reading in the 70's of the massive starvation that was predicted once the world population got to 6 billion. We are at 7 billion now with explosive population growth still in the offing. We have to find ways to continue to find ways to feed everyone.

Without massive industrial scale agriculture and world markets the planet will be doomed.
The answers are multifaceted. We do need stability of population along with sustainable lifestyles. Educate our females and they tend to have far fewer children. Extend quality of life and health so our population is more productive. Redistribute some of the wealth to provide life and happiness to more of the population. And on and on . . .

This isn't easy. But I think we all agree something must be done.

All fossil fuels will diminish. How long till the tipping point is the only argument. Will it be long enough of a time span to make the necessary changes in technology and lifestyles?

I was not born in the West. I was raised in a country where hunger was a common occurrence, bad water and splotchy electricity. But we could sustain the family and community with what we grew and traded to nearby communities. I know this is not the sustainability all of you are talking about.

A sustainable industrial platform is what we need. That requires concentrated energy sources used efficiently.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (11-29-2012)