View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
OK, just wrote down the name of the stuff: "Amsoil P.I. fuel system treatment". Now to find some. Seems like Amsoil isn't too rare, is it? Dunno about Wal-Mart, but can I find it at places like Autozone/O'Reilly/CarQuest?

Sea Foam is what I used a couple years ago the last (and only) time I did it before.

Oh, and as far as the "good fuel" vs. "cheap fuel" claims? I bought an '85 Jimmy (2.8 liter V-6, 5-speed manual, 4 wheel drive) new from the dealer (actually ordered it through the dealer & waited), and then proceeded to put ONLY the cheapest fuel in it I could find - ALWAYS. Drove it almosr every day from 1985 to around 2002 or 2003 (when I replaced it with my 2000 Jimmy & gave it to my parents), and never had any major engine work at all. 3 new fuel pumps, 2 new ignition "modules", a couple "tune-ups" (plugs, wires, etc), radiator hoses, fan belts, batteries, etc. I gave it to my parents when I stopped driving it, and IT STILL RUNS FINE. The odometer broke at about 3 years old and 65,969.5 miles (that number's etched into my memory, because even after numerous attempts to fix it at both two different dealers & a speedo shop in Reno, it never moved again), so I don't know how many actual miles it has on it, but it's gotta be over 200,000. A friend once said you can tell by how many sets of tires you put on it if you get like 35,000 to 40,000 miles per set. I think it's had 5 or 6 sets. Oh, although the main odometer stopped working, the TRIP odometer and speedo kept going, so that's how I was able to continue checking my mileage.

And during the time I owned it, it always turned in a solid 25 MPG on the highway with some city mixed-in. So it will take a lot to convince me that "cheap gas" will "ruin" my engine & gas mileage. (like some of my know-it-all "friends" used to try to "warn" me).