View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Good thoughts, mcrews.

You are right about the winds, when they blow, they're usually out of the west or SW, so if I go out I-80, it would be returning against a headwind - IF the wind comes up. That's what would blow the test ..... some days I could go out & come back with no wind. Other days I might go out & then the wind comes up sometime before I get back. Of course, if it's blowing steady the whole time, the out & back would cancel each other out. But then, we seldom get "steady" winds - they're usually in the form of gusts.

The other thing I was thinking, AFTER shooting off my big mouth, was that I'd probably want to do it at 40, my best MPG speed, but that would be a 10 hour day for one "out & back". Hmmmm..... can we say "tedious"? LOL ! Of course, 40 would also probably get the attention of the Highway Patrol before long on a freeway with 75 MPH speed limits. I could head out US 50, but since it isn't 4-lane, would probably end up bothering MORE people. Guess I could "bite the bullet" and do it at - say - 55 on the freeway. So much for setting any new MPG records in the process, though. hmmmm....

And once I start, I've gotta do the whole thing the same, too. hmmmm.....