View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #60 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Pulled one of the spark plugs today, originals with 125k miles on them. Replaced them this afternoon (8 plugs, pain in the arse, took me 1.5 hours). Tha gap was close to twice what it was new, used Motorcraft Platinum, same as was in the truck for the last 15 years. Everyone told me to just replace the original plug wires at the same time but I was careful and they seem to be fine. The truck had some spark knock at low revs in higher gears, under load, which is now greatly reduced. It may have saved me from removing and cleaning the EGR valve, at least for now. When I do that I'll probably remove the upper intake manifold and disconnect the EGR tube at the exhaust manifold.
I'm thinking about replacing the oxygen sensor. Pretty sure it is the original and it must be getting lazy at 125k.
Still need to drop the differential cover and put in new gear lube.
I welded another cross brace in the cap yesterday to maintain the slight curvature in the cap to the back of the top panel.
Working on the rear aero extension in my mind. Going to try to make it mount to the access panel on the tailgate and make it easily removable in case I need to haul something more than 8 feet long. Under 8 feet will fit inside the cap and rear extension, which will need to be about four inches past the top of the lowered tailgate.

regards
Mech