View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #61 (permalink)
radioranger
radioranger

I just bought a 02 on ebay standard part for 19$ including shipping, last time I swapped it out i got 30 mpg, , two years back but ruined it by using too much oil in engine, rangers are pretty sensitive about oil fill level and for some reason I used about a half quart too much, blew the gaskets off the valve cover because the original PCV was stuck , they never go bad right , wrong!My Ranger had a dragging rear brake , so loosened them up a bit and for the first time in 40 years of driving put some lube on the rubbing points of the rear brake shoes, should ease the load on the return springs, also 1/2 grille block and tires from 30 to 35 , netted a jump from 23 to 26.5 MPG so happy about that , one big trouble though and I'm a bit upset i never checked into it though is the truck has always liked high test, this engine I rebuilt and now pings on regular up the steep hill here, i realized somehow the EGR valve was probably clogged up , the one and probably only part I never swapped out beside the PCV , i understand if they get clogged up you may get pinging and engine damage, hope not, more aero mods will include rear wheel skirts or covers, removing the spare tire mount under the bed and thinner oil in the rear dif also the engine , running 10 /30 valvoline now, probably go to 5 -30 wal mart synthetic and red line in the rear dif again, got to rig up the hot air intake again also , easy truck for the most part to work on so lots of fun.