View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
It is the fault of companies like Monsanto for using strong-arm tactics and some of the absurd legal moves they make...like suing farmers because their GM crops drift onto the farmers land.

Because the current WH guy SAID he wanted GMOs labeled...then hired a bunch of Monsanto people into his admin.

Most larger countries require the labeling of GM foods...except for Canada and the US?

I'm not BLANKET against GM mods...just the lack of REQUIRED research into their safety BEFORE they are put on the market.

The 'Monsanto Rider': Are Biotech Companies About to Gain Immunity from Federal Law?

A so-called "Monsanto rider," quietly slipped into the multi-billion dollar FY 2013 Agricultural Appropriations bill, would require - not just allow, but require - the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for the planting or cultivation of a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed. All the farmer or the biotech producer has to do is ask, and the questionable crops could be released into the environment where they could potentially contaminate conventional or organic crops and, ultimately, the nation's food supply.

I think Monsanto's plan might be to put so many GM mods into the genome environment where they cannot be retrieved to make ORGANIC a moot point.

Poison the planet for profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Again, it saddens me that all GMOs are tarred by the sme brush based simply on the purported unethical practices of one company.

I live near the International Rice Research Institute. A non-proft dedicated to improving rice breeds in terms of yield, hardiness and Hybrid vigor. And they do use genetic modification in their research.

And not to develop pesticide dependent rice.

Yet their efforts have been frustrated by the furore and hysteria surrounding anything with the "GMO" tag. It's like being the one Afghani kid in an American public school after 9/11.

To say that genetic modification per se is bad is like saying that since antibiotics (again) are used in commercial farming, that all instances of antibiotics are bad.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL