View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattroddrebel View Post
It would seem that i need to explain what fuel additives do. There is no "magic chemical". Fuel additives are not designed to improve fuel quality. They are designed to remove the residue left from ethanol based fuels, and lower grades of fuels. If you vehicle has been driven for 10,000 miles and you do not understand the design of the vehicle that you are driving, you just get in and go, and unless it stops running well you basically do nothing. You change your oil with whatever at Wal mart or what "daddy" always used, not knowing what an engine looks like after 100,000 miles with conventional oil inside? Times have definitely changed, oil has changed. If you drive a car that dates before 1995 today's oil will not work because it does not have Zinc Phosphate. This chemical was known to destroy catalytic converters. The problem with additives the ones that works that if they remove the debris leftover in the combustion chamber, it collects in the catalytic converter and causes it to overheat and melts it shut. I have changed out 100's due to poor knowledge. To design a hydrocarbon based fuel additive is complicated, and if you have to buy one every tank of gas, you are not saving money. My claim of the Amsoil product comes with 10 pages and pictures of the explanation of data to go with it, when i said "the only way I could do what this does is take the engine apart" is because the test data and pictures are fact, this is how i worded it because this company allows me to do that. Yes I am a salesman but I am also a mechanic that does in my business what I can to share information with all of my customers. I don't have a boat, I don't own my house, and I have no "toys". I do what I can to save my customers money. if this product does what it claims, then I must be able to back that claim up.

Fuel additives like "sea-foam" do not publish their ingredients. I will shop around to see if I can find an MSDS on that product. I do know that if you put that "junk" in your vehicle and it is not a 1978 Chevy, well I personally have dumped over 50 gas tanks with that stuff in it because it broke loose so much crap it filled the exhaust with an oil that saturated the catalytic converter so bad all it did was smoke. It is too much for today's vehicles. It has the consistency of diesel.

Amsoil is not on the shelves to control costs. Wanna know how things get on the shelf at Walmart?
1) Ingredient supplier
2) Manufacturer
3) Wholesaler
4) Distributor
5) Vendor
6) Retail

These are not in order but you get the point. There are so many middle men in retail the costs cannot be controlled, just like the gasoline and oil you are buying, too many hands in the pot.
Amsoil you can either buy online, a retail outlet, or a dealer, or you can become a preferred member and but it at dealer cost. Not to mention this company has the ONLY oil that has a 25,000 mile oil change interval. No other oil can do that, would that save you money on oil changes? It also cleans the sludge out of the block, what conventional has left behind.

Sorry guys I am ranting, if anyone would like product information I can provide it. But before you "hate" on salesman, just know that I have documented proof, or you can go online and check out the product for yourselves, there is no "selling".
As long as am a member of this site i will provide any and all information about vehicles that you would like, if you don't that's fine too. I have plenty of information I can share, this is supposed to be fun and we are supposed to help each other. Some members are not clear on that.

Hey wmjinman, I need to know what kind of vehicle you have, how many miles per month you track, a list of all of your mods, area, and average nominal atmospheric temperature of your location, products you have used, type of oil you have used, engine size, tire size, and where you get your information. I may possibly have a great deal of information for you to use, hell maybe I could increase your mpg's by 25% just by offering simple suggestions that you may not have thought of,interested? Keep in mind that I do this for a living and have access to all publications, TSB's on every vehicle, and my customer base is 30,000 people deep because of my knowledge base. I would love the opportunity to explain all aspects of automotive engineering, industrial engineering, industrial electricity and electronics, and simply "what works and what doesn't". Every product on the market has been tested in my shop. I also homebrew fuel additives that are substantially less expensive to make if you are also interested.
As I follow this, I would like any info you have on either of my two vehicles, the Escape or RS.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.