View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #56 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Well, I "SeaFoamed" my engine today (1 can = 1 pint in about 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas, half a pint in the crankcase, and half a pint "sucked" up a vacuum hose with engine idling, then enough to kill it as per instructions, wait 10 minutes & then re-start). After re-starting (which was VERY difficult), it blew out a lot of white smoke as promised, then I went to do some "A-B-A" tests with & without wiper blades installed.

Well, I did 3 "out & back" runs at 50 MPH, cruise control & ScanGauge, and then stopped to take the wiper blades off. I left the engine running so the cruise control "set" would be maintained, but when I leaned over the hood to mess with the wipers, I heard a sucking sound. So opened the hood, and - sigh - the vacuum hose was disconnected. Groan, I musta forgot to put it back on after sucking up the SeaFoam through it.

To make matters worse, it started raining too hard to continue without wipers, so I had to abort at the very start of the "B" part of the test. Then I got back home & compared my mileage averages against my "base" for 50 MPH. It was about 0.7 MPG lower with my "new" grille block, which isn't quite as "complete" as my original one. But I guess the vacuum leak totally blows the test anyway, huh? I was kinda curious to see if the SeaFoam would make a difference, but all I know is it was 0.7 MPG worse with the SeaFoam AND the vacuum leak.

Soooo..... test results corrupted = unusable. ....crap....

I guess I may have solved why it was so hard to re-start though, huh?