View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
syncro_user
EcoModding Lurker

Beyond TLC - '89 Volkswagen Golf Syncro Gti
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Gypsy deathtrap - '96 Seat Cordoba Tdi
90 day: 63.56 mpg (US)

Pinky - '00 Opel Corsa
90 day: 39.29 mpg (US)

corsavan - '11 opel corsavan
90 day: 52.41 mpg (US)

cordoba - '01 seat cordoba estate
90 day: 39 mpg (US)
I think it may legally be possible to remove the passenger side mirror, but what kind of a saving would I be looking at? If I could find something just a little smaller that would fit on both sides I'd consider it, but anyway I'll keep an eye out for one of those convex mirrors next time I'm in the parts shop, ta.

In the meantime, I've stuck some black duct tape over the upper grill, and hole where the intercooler used to be. Removed the mudguards as they don't seem to guard much mud anyway, and pumped up the tyres to 40psi. Got the mains electric engine block heater, and cabin heater working, which help, but the engine still takes a while to warm up so I think the thermostat is going to get tested/replaced when I do the coolant change later this week. Maybe even do a partial lower grill block too.

Haven't managed to get the engine undertray on, as it needed a little trimming to fit. Hopefully this week it'll get done, as after a very warm autumn the temperature has started to drop off outside at last. Now -13C and snow falling thick and fast!