View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
warm air intake tests--results are promising!

Okay, took the truck out on a pretty flat stretch I finally found that will work for testing. It was 68* OAT when I started, and was 65-66* when I finished.
Still need to troubleshoot what I fried on the VSS side of my MPGuino, but the fuel flow still works...so I made voice recordings of my stops and starts and set my usec/gal to a ridiculously small number so it looked like I'd burn about 0.3 gal/mile.
Only problem with voice recordings was my Palm Pilot was picking up all kinds of background noise. Next time, I will use my iPhone with the Apple earplug setup--it has a mic built in and you can squeeze it to start/stop. I tested it today, and it does a much better job filtering background noise...
Anyhow, from what I've been able to filter out from my recordings:

First series: AIRRAM air scoop, cardboard ducting direct into OEM air filter box.
IAT 71-73* 6 passes (3 each direction), threw out high and low. Avg: 19.86 mpg

Second series: taped cardboard in front of AIRRAM air scoop (in front of grill), zip-tied flexible 4" dryer hose from radiator fan shroud over and into the OEM airbox.
IAT 89-91* 6 passes (3 each direction), threw out high and low. Avg: 20.97 mpg

Third series: AIRRAM air scoop, cardboard ducting direct into OEM air filter box.
IAT 71-73* 6 passes (3 each direction), but I can't discern my voice from the background noise just yet. Will update when I can. I only deciphered the first run: 19.51mpg, identical to the first CAI run. Otherwise, way too much noise. Even noise removal doesn't help. Sigh.

However, I wanted to see if my mpg change reads okay to you all? True, with the WAI I did have a little more (1/8th) grill block. I was pretty surprised to see a 5% mpg increase though. I do recall somewhere around 80-90* IAT my truck seems to lean out slightly; at least that's what I remember from driving around north Texas the past two years. Thoughts?

[edit] Cruise control set at 61 mph. It pained me greatly to drive back home, leave the truck idling while taping cardboard on the front or removing it. I dislike idling...but wanted to keep the exact same cruise speed. Winds were out of the south at about 7 mph, a crosswind on the road.

I did the math and it seems I have a 6.6% increase, not 5%. Seems consistent with other MAP vehicles: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post343583

Last edited by ECONORAM; 12-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: test speed added. no dice on 3rd run info