View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #83 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Thanks for your input.

The lower aeroform is a superellipse rather than a body of revolution to better fit the flat-sided wheel and tire. I just scaled it to bury the stock fender completely so there is probably some trimming that could be done there.

I've been thinking I could I could do some tuft testing. I could lash some [paper-faced] sheet styrofoam horizontally to the bike rack with my HD camcorder and see the result on a flat plane just below the air intake. I'm interested in how big a deck would need to be to allow the airflow to re-attach.

The other area I'm wondering about is the bottom. There is an opportunity to have a vertical slot air intake just before the rear wheel, if only to save fitting against the body and running board. And in the rear, any diffuser would have to start its 10° rise at the apron rather than the axle line, unless I remove the apron completely—which racers do for engine access. I doubt a 12" diffuser would do much.

BTW, since you're looking back to Chrysler in the 1930s, I'll mention:

Airflow Prototypes [last 3 pages]

And one of my favorite stories:
SIA Flashback – Mopar’s Star Cars

It almost happened that when I was in high school the used car lots were full of 5-cylinder radial front-wheel-drive cars. Wouldn't that have been something?

Quote:
I'll keep turning it over in my mind.
Me too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-06-2012), Sven7 (12-20-2012)